NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
jpreston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 16:18:51 -0400
This past week we were in Pigeon Forge, TN where we stopped at a Long John
Silver's restaurant at which my daughter has sometimes been able to eat.
We in the past have always asked to see ingredients and the managers have
always complied.  This time I asked to see the ingredients and was told
that it was "against company policy" to allow me to see the ingredients.  I
explained that my daughter had severe allergies and that unless I were able
to read the ingredients we would not be able to eat there.  She said that
she didn't have the ingredients, they were not on the bag that contained
the product.  I told her that she could find it on the box the "bag" came
in. (I've been throught his before!)  She got the box and started yelling
out the ingredients to me.  I asked her to let me see the box, as I would
not be confident that we were o.k. to eat there unless I could read it for
myself.  She said, "well, what are you allergic to?"  I told her that
sometimes "Ingredients of ingredients" were not required to be listed and
it would just be easier for me to read for myself.  She said, "I can't let
you do that.  It's against company policy.  Our ingredients are protected."
  I said, "It's interesting that I have never been turned down by any
restaurant before.  I'm sorry that you value policy above people."  I plan
to write the corporate headquarters of Long John Silvers to inform that of
what has happened.  This restaurant is on the main street going through
Pigeon Forge as you head toward Gatlinburg.

This culminated a very frustrating evening as we drove up and down the
street trying to find anyplace that she could eat.  So many restaurants . .
. and so few choices.

At least when we are camping on vacation this summer, we will be able to
cook our own food the whole time!

Sorry to take up so much space.  Just a little frustrated here!