NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
rene spencer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 04:47:55 -0000
Our daughter began having difficulties nursing while in the hospital just
after her birth.  Over the next two weeks she continued to lose weight and
seemed to struggle when nursing.  I didn't realize that my consumption of
dairy would affect her at that time.  She finally began gaining weight, but
still had difficulty nursing.  The few times that she had any dairy, such as
a tiny spoonful of ice cream or a few sips of milk-based formula, she
immediately threw up (violently), began crying, and began breaking out in
hives, as well as experiencing stomach cramps.  When her sister would kiss
her after drinking milk, she broke out in lip shaped hives.  After two
hospitalizations and four emergency room visits that may or may not have
been related to allergic reactions, we were refered to an allergist, who
tested her and diagnosed her with anaphylaxis to dairy, an allergy eggs and
cats, and very severe asthma.  After a year of having a dairy-free home,
Mary is doing much better.

We have learned a lot along the way about her allergies.  Having people to
share information and experiences with has been a wonderful resource.  Hope
this helps.