NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laura Marple <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 20:31:38 UT
>> I just came across something I wrote down that I heard on the news
back in 1989 indicating that studies linked cow’s milk to diabetes.
Researchers said cow’s milk damages insulin production in babies and
seems to only affect infants 3 to 4 months old.  Researchers said that
some infants who drink cow’s milk are more likely to develop diabetes
as they get older.  Sorry, I do not have a reference. <<

This is what I have, from a post I saved fom another mailing list:

Borch-Johnson, K., et al., Relation between breastfeeding and
incidence of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Lancet 1984;
2(8411).

Mayer EJ, et al. Reduced risk of insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus
among breastfed children. Diabetes 37:1625-1632, 1988 [Formula feeding
accounts for as much as 26% of insulin dependent diabetes mellitis in
children.]

Hope this helps! My husband went through something similar to what
you describe - he was formula fed, and as a child had allergies, constant
recurrent bouts with ear infections, a vicious cycle of antibiotics, recurring
pneumonia, etc. It sounded awful. I was lucky enough to be breastfed
for 2 years (back before it was fashionable!) and I'm convinced that's why
as a child I never had ear infections or any of the other problems my
husband had. When I was pregnant last year, my acupuncturist advised
me to give up dairy - and I was amazed that it helped immensely with
my morning sickness, allergies and acne! I'm still not 100% dairy free,
but with the help of this list I'm getting there :)

For those of you with children, I'd suggest finding a holistic pediatrician,
if possible. Ours is super (I can recommend him to anyone in the Seattle
area). He knows a lot about allergies and is very open-minded.

Laura
------
Laura Marple, SAH Mommy to Pippa (27 Nov 96)
[log in to unmask] ~ [log in to unmask]
http://www.seanet.com/~thisbe