NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alex Oren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 11:34:19 +0200
Disclaimer: I am not an expert on Kashrut issues.  When in doubt, ask a rabbi.

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:35:08 -0500, Mark Feblowitz wrote:

} Simply stated, "pareve" means that it contains neither milk-derived nor
} meat-derived products (nor has the product been prepared on equipment that
} has been used for the preparation of either milk or meat*).

And that it satisfies other Kashrut requirements (that, while not relevant to
this group, may limit the selection of ingredients and raise the price of the
product).

} Eggs are neither milk nor meat, so they are considered pareve, too (I believe).

Correct.

} * Under the laws of kashrut, dairy equipment can be cleaned in a way that
} purifies it for use with pareve foods. This is one of the gray areas in the
} laws, since "clean enough to be pareve" is not necessarily the same as
} "does not contain a molecule of dairy."  For virtually all of us, pareve is
} good enough. But there is a very remote possibility that  minute particles
} can remain in the cleaned equipment and be dislodged in some production run.

The "letter of the law" requires that the equipment be clean from food traces
and then submerged in boiling water.  Since observing Kashrut is very important
to religious Jews, I expect it to be diary free (but obviously the supervisors
don't use high-tech lab equipment to ensure this.)

Have fun,
Alex.