NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:26:51 -0500
There are three things going on with the formatting. (1) Some people
are not sending plain text to the Listserv. (2) Some people are
composing their text in Microsoft Word and then pasting into the
e-mail. (3) By default this list sends out e-mails with what Listserv
calls Short Headers.

(1) Personally I like all my e-mail to come in as plain text. Such
e-mails are smaller and easier to reply to. This page describes how
to set your e-mail software to send plain text. It covers both
software and the web-based e-mail services. Everybody that isn't
already sure that they are sending plain text should check it out.

http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/listadmins/plaintext.html

If you don't find it listed at the above, try:

http://www.expita.com/nomime.html

And here's one for Gmail users:

http://email.about.com/od/gmailtips/qt/et122706.htm

(2) By default Microsoft Word adds "junk" characters, such as smart
quotes. They are completely unnecessary. You can turn them off. In
the XP version go to Format -> AutoFormat -> Options -> AutoFormat.
All the boxes in the Replace section should be unchecked. There may
be other issues with Word that I don't know about.

(3) There are three main ways that the Listserv sends out mail. Plus
many others. The ShortHeader e-mails are much smaller, but don't
include information on the character set used to create it. The
FullHeaders option (a.k.a. Normal Listserv-style) does. The third is
Digest mode. The traditional digest format never includes the
information on the character set used for each post. So those people
are probably stuck if non-plain text is sent. There is a MIME Digest
option that many e-mail packages (like mine) can't handle. Instead of
all the posts in one long e-mail you get links and have to click on
each to see each post (I think). To me the advantage of the long text
digest is you can lean on the down arrow and get through it quickly.
You can change your heading setting here:

http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?SUBED1=no-milk&A=1

Probably all non-digest people should change to Full Headers.

Quoting. ICORS, which is hosting our list, has a rule that what you
quote from the prior e-mail has to be kept to a minimum. I can
simplify this. Anyone who posts to the list and under their reply is