NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Margo Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 09:43:48 -0800
On 06/09/98 at 10:52 AM, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I'm also very concerned when I see that parents have their toddlers
> on Rice milk or soy milk instead of soy formula (ok, there  is no
> rice formula) because those products don't contain nearly enough fat
> for small children.  Studies have proven that a high fat diet is
> essential for brain development (among other things) for small children.

When my four-year-old was 14 months old I tried a couple of different
things, including soy milk and rice milk. He hated them both. I finally
tried Mocha Mix and he liked that, and seemed to thrive. After a few
months I noticed that regular Mocha Mix was extremely high in fat and
switched to the Mocha Mix light, which had about the same percentage of
calories from fat as whole milk.

My question: I can't get any good nutritional info from the labelling on
the package, since a serving size is 1 teaspoon! Anyone know if Mocha Mix
is a nutritionally sound product? Does it have protein? I've got another
milk-allergic baby now who is 7 months old and want to know this before he
turns one. He's already had some growth problems (that are getting better
now that I've stopped nursing him--for some reason he was not getting
enough breastmilk but refused to nurse enough to increase my supply) and I
don't want to malnourish him.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Margo Mead

- sent via an evaluation copy of BulkRate (unregistered).