NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cathy O'Connor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 1999 09:21:15 -0800
While I do agree with other messages that breastfeeding is best (I am still
nursing my 17 month old, dairy allergic daughter), I have to disagree with the
suggestion of replacing nursings at one year of age with fortified cereals.
While these cereals do provide adequate amounts of iron and are a good source
of calcium, they do not take into consideration the fats and other nutrients
required by a rapidly growing toddler.  Fats are essential for brain
development.  Our daughter's dietitian firmly believes that any child under
two who is not receiving breast milk or cow's milk should still be getting
formula, in addition to solids.

If you no longer want to nurse, would you be adverse to the idea of pumping
say 20 ounces or so a day, and giving that to your daughter?

There are in fact a number of amino acid based formulas that are dairy and soy
free.  Many are only available with a prescription.  I did a quick search and
found this one for example http://www.nutramed.com/enfood/enfoodingred.htm
While searching that site, I found that it's actually produced here in BC, so
if you're in the US, then the exchange rate would certainly work in your
favor!  There are also a number of hypoallergenic formulas that contain
predigested proteins that are shown to not cause reactions in dairy allergic
children.  While allergy is not an issue for you, this may be something that
would appeal to you.  I just requested a free sample of Nutramigen for our
daughter to try just in case she weaned.  We haven't tried it yet.  Ask your
daughter's pediatrician about other dairy free formulas.  A woman I met had an
18 month old child who was tube fed.  He was on a dairy free formula, but it
cost $7.00 a can and he was having 4 cans a day at the time.  Yikes!

Here is a link for another one called Alitraq.
http://www.rossmn.com/nutritio/npg4-5.htm  Although it is designed for adults
with GI problems, I have read that the concentration used can be changed to be
more suitable to infants.    It does indicate that it is low fat, so this
would have to be rectified by adding fat. Olive oil is a terrific source of
good fats.  But then that gets more complicated.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that if breastfeeding isn't for you
anymore, there are dairy free alternatives.  I don't know how far you want to
go with this.

Cathy