NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 23:58:51 -0500
On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Mark Feblowitz wrote:

> Just wanted to tell you what happened with me and Bertucci's this week.
>
> My boss ordered us all dinner. I requested the Bruschetta, and, having been
> burned there before, I asked him to make sure the it had NO CHEESE ON IT. I
> even told him to shout it, because he would have to, to get the message
> through. He did, three times, even telling them that the person eating it
> had a serious dairy allergy. He was told "we don't make our Brucschetta
> with cheese." Still, he insisted that it get recorded on the order.

I've never heard of Bertucci's, but assuming is the Brick Oven Pizzeria I
found via a google search, why would you eat food prepared there if you
have a serious enough milk allergy that you carry benadryl and an epi-pen?

All I get from a single exposure is canker sores, and I eat at Italian
places maybe once a year if that frequently.  I generally avoid eating out
at any places other than a few steak places or Chinese, Japanese (sushi),
or Thai, and even at these places you have to be careful and can get
screwed since some steak places will normally dip steaks in clarified
butter before cooking them, many Chinese places (the more Americanized
ones) have at least some items with dairy in them, and the Americanized
sushi places make some rolls with cream cheese, which presents a possible
source of cross contamination.

I used to order pizza without cheese...but cross contamination seems like
such a likely occurance, I stopped years ago.  I won't even go to Subway
anymore for the same reason.  Last I looked (several years ago), their
bread was safe (non-dairy), but so many times I've been to Subways where
they've managed to sprinkle grated cheese all over (the prep board, the
vegie containers, etc.) that they're simply incapable of making food I can
safely eat.

--
 Jon Lewis *[log in to unmask]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |