NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 10:05:23 -0500
On 11/2/05, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi --
>
> My family's experience has been that *most* truly dairy-free substitutes
> just aren't worth it. And over time, you forget what the true dairy taste
> is like, anyway.

That has been my experience as well. I found it mostly better and more
agreeable to just change what I ate, than to try to make dairy-free versions
of dishes where dairy is a prime component.

 We do
> like the dairy-free frozen treats, with Tofutti Cuties being near the top
> of
> the list.

We're big fans of the Cuties! Even those who can have regular ice cream like
the Tofutti Cuties.

My entire
> family just hates the soy yogurts.

There was an excellent brand of soy yogurt we had in Toronto once (sorry, I
forget the name) but all of the American soy yogurts are indeed yucky.

The interesting things are the substitution that the milk-allergic people
> in my family have come up with on their own. They like their cereal, for
> example, with juice in it.

I stopped having cold cereals and went with dairy-free varieties of instant
oatmeal.

I did come up with a workable recipe for a dairy-free rice pudding once when
I had a craving. Not shockingly, rice milk works well with that. :)

--Robyn