NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kathy C. Shepard" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 07:33:03 -0500
> Date:    Mon, 4 Jan 1999 16:53:12 -0500
> From:    Rita Doppenberg <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: First Milk Reaction in a year!

Rita,

>   When I pick Zack up the next morning Grandma tells me that he was fine,
> ate 2 more of the OliBolen and went off to bed. But she mentioned at around
> midnight, he woke up coughing and coughing and wouldnt stop. She also
> noticed that his lips were swollen and his skin was blotchy.

I am MOST sympathetic to what happened to your child.  My story isn't as heart wrenching because
it's just me but it is still frustrating.

For months on end I will read every label of everything that I eat.  And I try to eat the same
things day in and day out so that if get a reaction then I can say "oh it was that new thing that I
ate yesterday."

Well after awhile I get complacent about reading labels and the last time I had a SEVERE reaction
(migraine headaches) was with Galaxy Foods Veggie Slices.  The label has always said "casein" but
not all casein is derived from dairy so I have been eating it.  Well this time I had such a bad
headache that I almost had to leave work.  When I got home I cancelled eating out with my hubby and
went straight to bed.  These headaches last for 3 days so this isn't fun at all!  Guess what?  Now
the label says "casein (a dairy protein)."

So read those labels EVERY TIME!

Also I got a little card from "Something to Moo About" that lists everything that might be a dairy
ingredient.  I can't find the web site right now.  The person is Helen Fernety (SP) and she
corresponds with this list.  Maybe that would have helped in the situation at the bakery.

Regards,

Kathy