NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laurie Carson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:45:18 -0700
: This is something that has never even crossed my mind. I bought some Paul
: Mitchell brand "Baby Don't Cry" shampoo today for my kids. For some reason
: I glanced over the ingredients and found sodium lactate listed. There are
: lots of other "natural" sounding ingredients like ginger extract etc...

A good friend gave us a birthday present for Alyssa when she was 1, including
a buttermilk bath bubbles for babies packet... needless to say, she didn't
get that in her bath!

I think the answer is - it depends.  When Alyssa was younger (under 3), she
would get hives on her skin from milk contact, including a secondary ingredient.
So, I wouldn't even attempt a bath/shampoo with anything of the sort.  Now,
she would probably not have a reaction, as her reactions are less severe.  I
still would not use it, though, since total avoidance is the best approach, and
there are many alternatives without milk.

It's unlikely that the shampoo would cause anything more than a rash, but
any exposure may increase his response, and even a rash is unpleasant.  I'd
take it back, or just use it for another family member without allergy.

Laurie (and Alyssa, 4yo, allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts and walnuts)