NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
psam ordener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 08:50:38 -0800
I wanted to pass on this recipe which I just got for Chocolate Pecan
Pie - my son, allergic to dairy, has never eaten chocolate except
things I put cocoa in, and he fell in love with this!

You need a 9-inch unbaked pie shell (I make my own from shortening,
flour, salt and ice water; you make yours anyway
you want to make it)

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sugar
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or melted shortening
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 1/4 cups broken pecans

Melt chocolate and oil or shortening together.

Beat first 7 ingredients together until well blended.  Stir in
chocolate and pecans.  Pour into pie shell and bake at 400 degrees
for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 300 degrees and continue to back for
30-35 minutes longer, or until set.

I didn't have dark corn syrup so I used light corn syrup and brown
sugar (instead of white) and it worked very well.  The original
recipe called for butter but I substituted oil with good results.

Great for the holidays!

psam