NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 12:11:27 -0500
Hello:
Stefanie Campbell wrote:
>flagyl ( a prescription drug) makes these stop hurting in about12 hrs and go
away in 2-3 days.

I would be very careful about this; as I recall, Flagyl is a very powerful
antibiotic, and I don't know how effective it is against the virus that
causes canker sores.  Flagyl (or metronidazole) has been linked with gene
mutations and birth defects, and it is specifically contraindicated in
pregnant or nursing women, as it passes through the placenta and breast milk
to the baby.  One source for info on it is Our Bodies,Ourselves; I can post a
complete citation if anyone would like it, but my understanding from the
doctors I've known was that Flagyl was a last-resort kind of antibiotic with
a lot of side effects. In this day of trying to eliminate the overuse of
antibiotics for everything under the sun, most of which they can't cure, I'd
be mighty careful about using it.

Just my 2 cents; as a lifelong canker sore sufferer, I've been following all
these suggestions with great interest and a lot of gratitude. But I am
concerned about this one.
Libby Rock