NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kay Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 22:13:29 -0800
Kelly and other interested people,

My son's allergic reaction to wheat was hyperactivity. We pinned down the
problem with the dreaded elimination diet and wheat was one of the first
things we trialed.  He was bouncing off the walls in minutes. And here I
had been Mother Earth, baking our bread and even grinding the grain
myself!! No more wheat for that child.  The allergist explained that his
cerebral blood vessels swelled... that was the real reaction, but our
evidence was his hyperactivity. He reacted similarly to citrus. I have some
books at home that might be helpful, but I won't be there until
Thanksgiving.  I'll see if my husband can find the titles for us. (That
does sound strange. I live at U of O during the week and in Portland (home)
on most weekends.)
        The good news is that since puberty our son's reactions are not as violent
and some of his intolerances have changed. But for years we were a
wheat-free family on a strict rotational diet. We learned to eat quail,
rabbit, and barley flour and many other unusual foods.
Later,

Kay Peterson