NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 01:18:39 EDT
In a message dated 9/27/99 10:00:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I became LI in my 20's, after a severe case of
 travellers diahrrea that was not taken care of as soon
 as it should have been. >>
Sue, did you ever get treatment? What kind? Did you reinocculate with
acidophilus and bifidus--they do come in dairy=free strains. That might make
a difference in your ability to digest.

Also, changing the subject. I read in "Don't Drink Your Milk" by Oski that
something like 90 percent of the world's population is unable to properly
digest UNcultured milk or milk products. It was a while ago that I read it.
Anyway, his point was that it is actually unusual to be ABLE to drink milk
past the age of weaning (about 4 years old). Genetically, this aberation
seems to be most common among northern scandinavian and northern european
groups.  Of course, most of the people having low level problems with milk
don't know that's the problem, or won't believe it. So if you can't tolerate
milk, you are in a majority.