NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:51:04 EDT
I just recently found out that most all asthma inhalers will shortly no
longer be available in metered dose inhaler form.  Most will only be
available in
diskus (sp) form.  The diskus' contain lactose.

This has been coming for a few years-Most of the diskus do contain trace
lactose.

> Serevent is already no longer available as an inhaler.  My sons milk
> allergy
> is so severe that he reacted to the lactose in Singulair years ago with
> increase respiratory symptoms.

Be careful and watch all ingredients - 5mg singulair has no lactose- we use
it every day but there is possiblity of cross contamination (not a problem for
us).

  I am not letting him inhale lactose outside of a

> clinical setting.  It has been the Serevent/Flovent combo that has kept his
> asthma controlled for years.

Call the manufacturer-It might work!  Tell them you need a non lactose
formula and see what they come up with.  The manufacturer of Singulair offered to
direct ship to my pharmacy (they actually make some of the drugs there) the
purified form so that my son could take thier product.  Luckily we didnt need
that- the 5mg does not contiain lactose but 10 does-if he needs 10 he will have to
take 2 5's-  try explaining THAT to an insurance company!

Good luck and watch the formulations at least monthly- they can change the
"inert" ingredients without much (read ANY) notice!
Stefanie