NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Marla Shapiro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:58:28 -0500
sally, imho, i think they're pretty wrong (to say the least!) about the 504...

the legislative/advocacy person at the food allergy network would be a good resource person for you, but the requirement of intubation is baloney. if a child has a medical condition, such as a food allergy, that limits or impairs participation in school activities/services, then 504 can be applicable, period. you should, however, have a statement from a physician that describes ("proves") the severity of the allergy, and what precautions are medically necessary for your son to be safe. you are legally entitled to an individual health care plan for your son at school. and note, too, that plans that offer accomodations such as having your son eat elsewhere (e.g., segregating him), aren't legal.

Marla Shapiro, Ph.D.
MSC 5A0622
Regents Center for Learning Disorders
Georgia State University
33 Gilmer Street SE, Unit 5
Atlanta, GA 30303-3085

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/13/03 12:28PM >>>
Our school doesn't have cafeteria staff.  That is not an issue.  But they
still allow food into my son's classroom daily.  And due to cross
contamination he has had one *mild* allergic reaction.  I want no food in the
classroom and I want a basic plan for cleaning the childrens' hands.  They
told me that he does not qualify for a 504 because he has never been
intubated during an allergic reaction.

--Sally