NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 20:57:12 -0700
On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 19:26:40 -0700 Rita Doppenberg <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> Thanks for the reply. Its good to know we are not alone. I am struck
>however with amazement at how much what you are going through right
>now is like what I went through when Zack was 5 months.

Unfortunately, that's not a comforting thought :-(

> I had tried to
>eliminate all milk from my diet and yet he still vomited. What I wanted
to ask
>is are you absolutely sure you are avoiding ALL dairy?

I'm trying very hard to be dairy free at this point.  I have knowingly
and unknowingly had some since we've figured this out.  I found that I
could have a small amount of cheese without too much consequence, but
after doing a bit more research I'm going to forgo that too and not push
my luck.  At least for me, this is not forever.  I'll be able to go back
to having things after she's weaned.  I wasn't really aware of all the
dangers of repeated exposure.  I have noticed that it takes less to evoke
a reaction which really has me concerned.

> What I would suggest is aquaint yourself with ALL (there are sooo
>many) the terms on ingredient labels for milk and avoid all of them.

I have done this.  I've searched the grocery stores, whole food stores,
etc for substitutions for myself.  I figure if she doesn't grow out of
this (and I sure hope she does) I'll be in good practice.

 If all else fails, it
>just may be a wheat/gluten thing or another substance. I know how
>frustrating it can be waiting until they are old enough for the RAST
>test, and in the meantime you could sensitize them for life, but you
just
>have to hang in there and be a detective.

I don't think there is anything else at this point.  Her eczema is a
pretty good indicator of how well I'm doing.  It will pop up within an
hour of her nursing.  I do have to be careful about expressed milk if I
find that she's reacting to something I've eaten.  Otherwise, I keep
re-exposing her when I mix up cereal or give her a bottle.  I've dumped
lots that have been suspect.

I'm glad I never tried the formula at this point.  I'd hate to think how
much worse this could be if she was mainlining the stuff instead of
getting it filtered :-)  We have our 6 month appointment in another month
and I'm going to ask the doc about testing then.  I'm not sure what age
they will start.  Also, I really like my allergist and can use him for
reference.  He used to be a pediatrician is pretty up to date on kids
yet.  I just wish he' have been more insistent about eliminating things
instead of just avoiding them.  Of course I'm sure that we are in enough
of a minority that avoiding works for most people.  Who knew?

Thanks for all the feedback,
Kathy