NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:39:53 -0700
One of the delights(?) of modern cooking here in Canada is that butter is
more expensive than margarine (it has something to do with the dairy
farmer's lobby and artificially high dairy prices, and we grow cheap oil
grain seeds). So a lot of pastries are not made with butter. According to
the book length list of ingredients, there was no butter or whey. Now that
you mention it, I'm not surprised that Eccles cakes may be British in
origin. We still have a lot of British heritage left here. Mind you, my
heritage is French and German<g>.

Don