NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:07:23 -0800
On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:46:15 -0500 "Murray, Katherine" <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

>their backs for allergies.  My oldest reacts to dairy, eggs, apples,
>oranges, pineapple, cashews, brazil nuts, dyes etc.  He was NEGATIVE for
all
>(except possibly shrimp and oranges...).  We saw a pediatric allergist
at
>the hospital I work at, who is WONDERFUL.  But I had two residents, two
>nurses and the doctor looking at me with blank looks after the negative
test
>as I frantically described his physical and emotional reactions to
dairy.
>They listened, but said that my story was not common at all.

We have the same problem!  Alyssa reacts negative to all the skin tests
we've done so far and to the food RAST.  Sometimes she did not even react
to the histamine control.  That does NOT mean she does not react to
certain things.  Likewise, I test negative to all but dust and cats.  I
have horrible seasonal allergies and don't present with the classic
"look".  I have a very delayed reaction to eggs and some molds on a skin
test - it did not pop up until about 45 minutes after I left the office.
Fortunately, we have found an allergist who has explained (in painstaking
detail) to me about allergies and intolerances.  He is a little hesitant
to be completely on board with my explainations of my 2 1/2 yo having the
behavioral changes, but still believes that she is reacting to things.
The behavioral symptoms are controversial, but he doesn't make me feel
like I'm just overreacting or something.  I can always correlate other
symptoms like red cheeks, excessive thirst, or loose bowels to the
reactions.  He has never made me do any challenges, but recommends them
from time to time.  Since we've never seen any anaphylactic type
reactions, I feel fairly safe but we don't get "cocky" about it :-)

I wish you luck and hope everything goes "well" (whatever that means for
you)
Kathy P.