NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rita Doppenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:25:31 -0500
Hi there everyone,

  Sorry I am answering this so late but I was in Florida for almost 3 weeks
and I am now weeding through over 500messages. I would like to report also
that I had the pleasure of meeting personally with Helen Fernety of
Non-Dairy Something to Moo About, what a wonderful woman!!

  Anyway, in answer to your query I can only tell you that my son Zack is
allergic to Milk & Eggs among others of course. He is also allergic to Beef
and Chicken as a result. We tried lamb but found it caused a reaction as
well. Then we had a thought, we paid a local farmer to raise a lamb for us
and feed it only grain. Presto, my son Zack is able to enjoy lamb now. It
cost us a bit more to buy but it was well worth it. Zacks main allergy is to
dairy and I am fairly positive that the first lamb we tried was milk fed. I
didnt think that there was any way that the milk the lamb had eaten would
have any bearing on the meat, but then again we are talking about a boy who
went anaphlyacitc over dog food.

At 10:04 AM 11/11/97 -0800, you wrote:
>My 6 year old son has anaphylaxis (reaction is immediate within 30
>seconds) to all dairy and therefore is on a strict non-dairy diet.
>His protein mainly comes from eggs, soy, peanuts, fish, and some
>poultry. He eats very little meat (a kosher hot dog or salami once in
>a while).  THe other night, he ate two small bites of leg of lamb and
>within 5 minutes, experienced tightening of the throat, itching of the
>throat and we all soon realized he was having an allergic reaction to
>the lamb.
>
>Has anyone else had experience with reactions to other mammalian
>proteins beyond what is found in milk?  He doesn't react when he eats
>a kosher hot dog but in retrospect, we remember that he's had a
>similar experience with roast beef.  I don't believe that the milk
>proteins that the animal may have ingested would stay in tact within
>the muscle.  Any information would be useful.
>Thanks

Keep the Faith ;-)

Rita Doppenberg

Head Researcher