NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:14:54 -0500
>  Anyway, in answer to your query I can only tell you that my son Zack is
>allergic to Milk & Eggs among others of course. He is also allergic to Beef
>and Chicken as a result.

No "of course" about it. Our highly milk and egg-allergic son can eat any
amount of beef or chicken without any difficulties or symptoms. As odd as
it may seem, there is really no connection between milk/egg and
beef/poultry allergies. If Zack is indeed allergic to these, I suspect that
it is for a different reason.

It made us a little nuts to feed Josh chicken at first, knowing how
allergic he is to eggs, but once he was on a clear diet, we were able to
verify that he had no symptoms at all with chicken or beef.

Also, I sincerely doubt that any cow, with the remotely possible exception
of milk-fed veal, would have anything in its proteins that would remotely
resemble milk proteins.

That said, if you repeat an experiment enough times and it comes up the
same, any contradictory theory goes out the window.

But even if there is a reaction, it's almost impossible to identify *the*
cause, just by observing the effects.

>We tried lamb but found it caused a reaction as
>well. Then we had a thought, we paid a local farmer to raise a lamb for us
>and feed it only grain. Presto, my son Zack is able to enjoy lamb now. It
>cost us a bit more to buy but it was well worth it. Zacks main allergy is to
>dairy and I am fairly positive that the first lamb we tried was milk fed. I
>didnt think that there was any way that the milk the lamb had eaten would
>have any bearing on the meat, but then again we are talking about a boy who
>went anaphlyacitc over dog food.

The dog food reaction shows that he can't breath powders that contain milk
(BTW, stay away from certain small animal feeds for the same reason). I
know that you meant that by way of an example of his sensitivity.

Again, you may be right, but then again, not. It may be that the farmer is
much more cautious with the meat, similar to how cautious he is with the
raising of the animals. It may be that the larger food distrubutors use
some kind of wash to keep the lamb looking/smelling fresh, and the meat
itself is not the problem.

It would be an interesting experiment indeed for the same farmer to feed
one of his lambs milk and give you one of each - perhaps as a double-blind
experiment.