NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 20:53:43 PDT
I recently called a manufacturer that sells kosher for passover
chocolates.  I discovered that even though these products were marked
kosher for passover with registered trademarks, many of the products had
citric acid derived from corn in them.  Corn is forbidden during
passover.  The woman at mail order businees was surprised to learn this
from me that citric acid comes from corn.  She called the manufacurer.
They found out that their products did contain a citric acid which was
derived from corn.

The same thing could happen with sodium stearoyl lactylate.  They might
not know that it can be derived from milk, and they might not check it
out.  It is probably best to call the manufacturer and tell them that
you must know the source of the sodium stearoyl lactylate.  This way you
will know if it is milk-derived or not.

Abgail, St Paul, MN