NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 05:04:01 EDT
I still can't risk it.

The employee puts on clean gloves.  Cleans the knife. I'm  fine there.

Then they reach into whatever is next in your order, then the next, then
the next, etc.  What touched all of that stuff before the 'clean'  glove?

I'll stay with the place that washes their hands, and gets clean
ingredients from the walk in.  I love my Mr. Pita.  My local Mr.  Pita  has gone to
synthetic gloves vs Natural Rubber Latex gloves for food  prep for me..

People mistake clean hands with clean gloves all the time.  They will
touch anything with gloves on and get that 'deer in the headlights' look, and
say, but my hands are clean.....(but your gloves are dirty, contaminated.)

Off topic.  I am allergic to natural rubber latex, my son is highly  milk
allergic.  I refused a blood draw last week because the tech didn't
understand that the cotton balls, alcohol wipes, tourniquet, etc. she  had
previously touched with latex gloves could transfer proteins to me if she  used them,
especially once she pulled out a latex glove over a  'clean  area'  where
she placed those so called safe items were placed.   I watched in fascination
at her ignorance,  Actually that was the last  straw for me, there were
many other cross contaminations during that visit,  .  Yes, when I turned in my
paperwork I told them I was anaphylactic to  NRL.  I left there taking
Benedryl, washing my hands and arms, driving  fast, showering, and not letting
my husband leave my side if I need an  ambulance.  NRL allergy and
accommodations  is inexcusable among  health care professionals.  It can devastate
them, but that is really off  topic.

Food workers are kids ready to learn.  NRL can devastate them  too.  We
need to reach all of them about all allergyies.

On topic is that in the past I let this set of circumstances go and found
myself in the hosp.  That is not what I want for my milk allergic  son.

The premise is the same for me and my milk allergic son.  Don't  touch
ingredients or products  that have been touched by hands (gloved  or not) that
either of us are allergic to.

Not everyone's allergy is as extreme as what we experience.  All  I have to
say is if the allergy is moderate, don't risk it.  Be super  vigilant.  My
son did outgrow the dreaded peanut allergy because I was  subervigient.

In a message dated 4/26/2009 10:55:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,