NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandra K Sheeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2001 20:24:00 -0600
For a great chocolate fix, I have tried a couple of new recipes lately
that my milk-allergic son just loves.  The rest of us think they're
pretty good, too.  I plan on trying to use candy molds for the Hershey's
chocolate this Easter to make special treats for my kids.  One brand of
semi-sweet chocolate chips that is dairy-free is Sam's Choice, if you
have a Wal-Mart store nearby.

Sandy

Hershey's Milk-Free Special Dark Bark

1 (8 oz.) package Hershey's Unsweetened Baking Chocolate; broken into
pieces
1/4 cup plus 1 tsp. shortening
1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners sugar

Grease a 9x9-inch pan.  Set aside.  In a medium bowl, microwave chocolate
and shortening on high 1 to 2 minutes, until mixture is melted and smooth
when stirred.  Add vanilla extract.  Gradually stir in sugar.  If mixture
becomes too thick, knead with clean hands.  Spread out in prepared pan.
Cover tightly; refrigerate until firm.  Break into pieces.  Store, well
covered, in refrigerator.

Chocolate Pudding

1 Tbsp. margarine
2 squares unsweetened chocolate (or 6 Tbsp. cocoa powder and 2 Tbsp. oil
or shortening)
1/2 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. corn starch
1/4 tsp. salt
1 3/4 cup milk substitute (I used soy milk)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla or almond extract

Combine margarine and chocolate.  Microwave 45 seconds to 1 minute on
high until melted.  Set aside.

Mix sugar, corn starch and salt together.  Gradually stir in milk
substitute.  Blend in melted chocolate mixture.  Microwave 6-7 minutes on
"8", or until thickened, stirring once with a wire whip.

Stir a little of the hot mixture into beaten egg.  Blend warmed egg into
hot mixture.  Microwave 1 minute and 30 seconds on "8", or until custard
coats a metal spoon.  Fold in vanilla.  Cool.