NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dawn Hyatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 1997 08:34:02 -0600
Guess I should have also shared more details. Sorry, didn't mean to cause
any alarm and/or leave so many unanswered questions...but since the details
are not directly milk related I didn't think it was appropriate to do so
here. 10 years ago I nearly died from an anaphylatic reaction to an
antibiotic I was taking at the time.  A quick trip to the ER and I received
adrenaline (same thing that is in an epi-pen) at the time and it felt like
I was dying (my throat was closed and I couldn't breath so the adrenaline
was given without warning/informed consent and I didn't know why my heart
started racing and that was really scary until one of the nurses realized I
was panicking and informed me what was going on). Anyway, I've since that
time I have not taken any antibiotics anywhere near that same family of
antibiotics for obvious reasons.

My 5 month old son has had an ear infection for nearly 2 months now
(allergy related? I'm not sure) and after trying every other drug family,
his peds doctor prescribed for my son the very antibiotic that nearly
killed me 10 years ago and prescribed an epi-pen for me "just in case." The
pharmacists told me not to breath in any fumes from the open bottle, not to
touch it (and to wash any parts of me or my son that get it on
immediately), and to wear rubber gloves and something over my nose/mouth
while administering the antibiotics to him to be on the safe side. They
also told me that if I start to have any reaction at all to have someone
administer the epi-pen immediately and then call the ER. Ten years ago,
they told me if I accidentally came into contact with the antibiotic that I
would have aprox. 2 minutes to get to the ER. With the epi-pen they told me
last night I would have about 20.  So today I'm doing a bit of reading up
on the epi-pen in an attempt to not approaching this situation with the
ignorance I had before all of this.

Smiles,
Dawn
:) :) :)