NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:38:48 -0500
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Robyn Kozierok wrote:

> Check out this article: http://www.foodallergy.org/press_statement.html
>
> FAAN (Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network) advises not eating them at this
> point.

It might make more sense to just avoid McDonalds entirely...both to send a
message, and because clearly they've got no problem lying about their
ingredients.  What surprise ingredients in their food will they announce
next?

> McD's apparently claims "well, the ingredients are 'derived from' milk and
> wheat but don't contain any allergens" which is possible (theoretically, one
> could make a safe ghee, for example).

The chemist in me doesn't buy that.  If its milk derived, how do they
really know that every single protein molecule has been removed?  What if
you're allergic to the protein and lactose intolerant?  Are they sure
there's no residual lactose?

I want to see a lot more disclosure from them about exactly what goes into
their fries before I give McDonalds another dime.

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |