NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Marla Shapiro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 14:24:25 -0400
mark, we've used 2 completely dairy free cheeses. no casein, no nuthin..

one is made by soyco, i think....highly inflammable / un meltable, even if you place it on something burning (really). but if you're 4 years old & know nothing else, it ain't so bad. BUT, we've just discovered tofutti's new american-ish cheese singles, & there's no turning back...melts, makes great cheese grits (!), mac/cheese... i even eat it....they also sell sliced mozzarella-ish cheese that doesn't make a 1/2 bad pizza....i've also used their block cheddar cheese, but it's ... well, not the real cheese i know & love....marla

Marla Shapiro, Ph.D.
MSC 5A0622
Regents Center for Learning Disorders
Georgia State University
33 Gilmer Street SE, Unit 5
Atlanta, GA 30303-3085

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/02/03 02:14PM >>>
So far, all of the so-called "non-dairy" cheeses that we've found contain
casein. Some people who are allergic to dairy proteins can tolerate casein.
There are even separate skin tests for casein (blood tests too, if I recall
correctly).

My son and I have reconciled ourselves to eating cheese-free pizza. We either
make it ourselves (using store-bought or home-made dough) or we go to one of
several pizza places that use dairy-free dough and make a mean, cheese-free
pie.

Mark