NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kimberly Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 13:24:55 EDT
In a message dated 4/5/99 12:03:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< All you have wanted to
 insist upon is that unless kids are receiving cows milk or infant formula
they
 aren't getting "complete nutrition".  IMO this is only argumentative and not
 supportive. >>

I can see the point of pondering the question of whether kids need cow milk
or infant formula for complete nutrition as this is a list for people with
cow milk allergies, and a list of concerned parents who want the best for
their milk allergic children.  I don't understand why it has become a
problem.  I don't always agree with everything, but it does make me think
about things I may not have otherwise.

My personal opinion is that it depends on the child and the situation.
Ideally, children will be receiving mother's milk up to the age of two, so in
that case there is no need for cow milk or formula.  However, this is not an
ideal world and not all mothers can or choose to nurse for that long.  In
that case, is it possible to receive adequate nutrition without formula?  I
think that is a good question, and it probably depends on what else the child
is eating.  Probably not all children will need formula, but some may.  We
all know our children and families best.

Let's not argue about this, but discussion about it is completely relevant
here.  Let's all take what we need and leave the rest!

Kim Sherwood
Upstate NY