NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
TiernanGA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 22:29:58 EDT
I'm new to the list and have enjoyed reading my mail everday.  the "crying
easily" letter just struck a cord.  I too ate lots of dairy all my life.  I
have gone dairy free when i was pregnant with my second child.  I found this
out when i was first pregnant and it helped the pregnancy in way I couldn't
imagine.

Symptoms I didn't know I had have gone away.  Ringing in my ears, cramps in my
feet and calves,  dark circles,runny nose or feeling like I was catching a
cold,nightmares, feeling sad and unable to cope.  I cheat now and again and I
can feel it creeping back in.  I've been out of sorts lately and I know in my
heart that it's becasue I've been cheating.

i had my oldest (3 1/2 yrs) tested and she is sensitive to dairy and sugar.  I
hesitate to say allergic because it's not life threating (at this point.)  The
more I read I worry that it will be more of a problem if I don't tighten up
now.

In a rambling way thought, I do have a question.......

I say to someone that she is allergic to dairy and they say "Oh lactose
intolerant?" and I say "No, allergic to dairy ,please don't give her milk. "
and once the reply was "Well then, is  skim milk OK?"

I have a hard time conveincing everyone that it is a problem and please don't
give it to her.  Family seems to be the least cooprative.

Also, what do you tell and 3 year old when they have a pizza party at school
and no one warned you and you have nothing to substitue?  Since it's not and
annyphaltic reaction she can eat the pizza.  But we have to pay with the
nightmares and behavior problems till it wears off...

I enjoy the support and stories from others.......

Suz