NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Eric Schlesinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:46:23 -0400
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> She is also correct that a large meal will "buffer" the lactose. In addition,
> people can often have more lactose than they suspect without significant
> symptoms.
>
> One mouthful should not produce strong and rapid symptoms in any case. That's
> more likely to be a psychological reaction than a physical one, since it
> takes time for the undigested lactose to move through the intestines. What you may
> be experiencing is the gastrocolic reflex, "an increase in intestinal and
> colonic peristaltic activity following entrance of food into the empty stomach."
> This is thought to be a sign of irritable bowel syndrome, and there is a
> correlation between LI and IBS.

Yes, I agree that this is possible . . . but I'm not clear what the
"buffering" mechanism would be.  With an antacid, I understand it and
the relationship between the acid and base - but what provides a buffer
in this case?

Vis:  strong & rapid symptoms.  From the Merck Manual:

"A child who is lactose intolerant has diarrhea and may not gain weight
when milk is part of the diet. An adult may have abdominal bloating,
cramps, diarrhea, flatulence, nausea, audible bowel sounds (borborygmi),
and an urgent need to have a bowel movement between 30 minutes and 2
hours after eating a meal containing lactose. For some people, severe
diarrhea may prevent proper absorption of nutrients because they are
expelled from the body too quickly."

That would be my definition of strong and rapid . . .