NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 22:41:15 -0500
Helen Fernety wrote:

>My daughter is allergic to milk proteins. I understand that most turkeys
>are basted with dairy products and even some ham's are processed with
>dairy. Help, can I serve either one safety for Thanksgiving.

Most frozen turkeys may be basted with dairy products, and also have
HVP/MSG added. But not fresh turkeys. You will find them labeled minimally
processed, which means water. Around here fresh turkeys are stocked at
Thanksgiving time, but if not, the butcher can always order one for you.
Much better than frozen.

As for ham, you are going to have to read labels. I've never heard of
dairy, but some do hide hydrolyzed protein in them. I also would avoid one
that has been coated with a baste, as I would not trust the ingredients of
that.

Don.