NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
klturner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:59:16 -0700
I am very confused over the terminology of "non-dairy". I have in front of me an article from "Eating without Casein" that states: (in short)

"Be especially alert when obtaining the following, as milk products do creep in: (and from that list)

 "non-dairy" anything, including Cook Whip. Non-Dairy does not mean milk-free. It is a term the dairy industry invented to indicate less than 1/2% milk by weight, which could mean fully as much casein as whole milk."

So am I to believe that there is lactose in "non-dairy"? I am lactose intolerant. To make things worst I was taking Prilosec to relieve the stomach problems due to lactose (not knowing that was my problem at the time) and Prilosec has a lactose filler in it along with all the allergy medication I was taking. Anyway, can someone help me with this confusion. Thanks