NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 09:12:34 -0500
Cherie Moore wrote:

>Historically, my nutrition texts have been the last
>ones to get the news out.

So I gather they still are promoting hydrogenated vegetable oil as being
better than saturated fats? As we now know these fake fats are much worse
than natural saturated fats. Actually this was first pointed out by Ancel
Keys back in 1957, but the vegetable oil industry quickly squelched it by
changing the focus to attacking saturated fats.

>dieticians and all major college up-to-date nutrition texts that protein
>excess can be a serious problem, most Americans get double the amount they
>need, and excess protein may cause Calcium excretion. Here are some quotes:

I've already pointed out that these studies used isolated, fractionated
animo acids from milk or eggs. Note they say excess protein, they don't say
meat. As these isolated, fractionated animo acids aren't part of my diet I
can't take any of them seriously. Unless you can find something using meat
I don't find any of them to be relevant.

> Strict vegetarians faired better than those that
>centered their meals on eggs and dairy. The lacto-ovo vegetarian had the
>same amount of rapid bone loss as meat-eaters: Here are the reputable
>references for those that want it (I know you will Don)...

>R. Tesar and coauthors, Axial peripheral bone density and nutrient intake
>of post menopausal vegetarian and omnivoruos woman, American Journal of
>Clinical Nutr 56 (1992):699-704.
>
>J Bonjour and coauthors. Hip fractur, femoral bone mineral density, and
>protein supply in elderlu patients, in H. Munro and G. Schleirf,eds. Nutr
>of the Elderly (NY Raven Press 1992), pp 151-159.

Without looking at these articles (I was planning to hold off replying
until I did, but I decided Cherie's misinformation can't stand unrebutted)
I will assume that they are flawed like all studies that compare
vegetarians to omnivores. (1) Bone density determinations through
absorptiometry or X-ray are highly subject to error, especially in
unblinded studies where researchers may be biased towards obtaining
predetermined results. (2) Subjects were matched merely for age, height and
sex, but not for body composition and dietary habits such as smoking and
sugar, coffee, soft drink and alcohol consumption. A group of omnivores
that smokes drinks and indulges in a calcium-poor diet of refined
carbohydrates will naturally have more of a tendency to bone loss than a
group of health conscious vegetarians. None of these studies can isolate
just the single variable of meat eating.

More to follow...

Don.