NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Cherie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 23:38:23 -0800
Max wrote:

> "We joined this list because we know that we must avoid
> milk entirely.  We don't need to be convinced, we're there already!"

Max/Don/Robert/Illya/Others:

It seems that recently the "Robert/Ilya" interactions and "Cherie/Don"
interactions are turning people off. I agree that it needs to be redirected
to the "no-milk" focus. I don't recall any "meat-bashing" that I have done.
We all are on a continuum of the amount of animal foods we eat. Usually on
this continuum, a person in our country will give up meat (cow or beef)
before giving up dairy on this continuum. When talking to a "no-milk"
support group we sometimes assume that others are eating less meat or no
meat also since they are "no-milk". Although I am vegetarian, I do not push
vegetarianism in my classes I teach-I do not consider eating meat "healthy"
though-although it may be included in a "healthy diet" in small portions.
There are junk food vegetarians that do not meet their nutritional needs
and exceed their allowances of fat, saturated fat, sodium, and simple
sugars-AND there are meat-eaters that far exceed their needs of protein,
fat, sodium, saturated fat, and cholesterol. It just so happens that in the
Average American diet it is usually the meat-eaters that are exceeding in
these excessive "nutrients".

I would like to move away from this now in the best interest of others and
stay on the milk focus.

-Cherie