NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. Steiner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 1997 23:29:32 -0800
Chao,
Monica

> Hi David,
> Have you been tested for allergies??  It sounds like you may
> be allergic to one or more of the several ingredients in milk.  Maybe you
> are not just "lactose intolerant".  People react to allergies many
> different ways.  My son is 3 and is allergic to dairy, eggs, and wheat.
> Eggs and dairy he was tested at level 4 which is the highest and most
severe.
> Wheat is was tested at a 2.  He can tolerate wheat at any amount.  Even
eats
> wheat thins.  However the dairy and eggs, he can't.  If a small amount of
milk
> was placed on his face he would blow up like a balloon.  He recently had
an
> anaphylactic reaction to some "Non dairy ice-cream". (guess it wasn't).
> What I am trying to say is it really depends on how severe your allergy
or intolerance
> is and how much you digest, how the food is cooked and so on and so on...
> If you haven't been tested, do it.  It will be worth it.>
        Hi,  somebody please proof me wrong, but the way I understand it, an
allergy is a reaction of your whole body, via the bloodstream.
         An intolerance means that you don't produce the necessary enzymes to
digest a food.  It doesn't' affect the rest of your system, like an allergy
can.
        Somebody please help me explain this better.  I know that you cannot be
"tested" with the little pricks or whatever they use to get the substance
into your blood stream, which causes your system to fight it, and that is
when you develop an "allergic" reaction.
Milk intolerance is mostly tested by drinking a glass of milk, and
reporting the bloating, the diarrhea and the cramps that follow.  I would
probably stay in the bathroom forever if I "took" the test  ;-)  I also
think there are some tests to have from the stools.  But we always try to
stay away from those, don't we?
Stay well,
Chao,
Monica