NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
richard horne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 1997 15:47:46 GMT
>Hi,

 Our 3 year-old daughter, Avigayil, is seriously allergic to milk. We are
told that there is a danger of anaphalactic shock, although she has never
experienced it, because we have been very careful to keep her away from all
contact with milk and milk derivatives. We hope that we won't need to find
out what happens next time she ingests something she shouldn't...

>I was thrilled when I read the question about milk staying on surfaces.
Avigayil would get a rash on her face from sucking on toys when she was a
baby and we figured out that it was from the milk residue in other babies'
saliva which was still on the toys which caused the problem. It's exciting
and comforting to know that we are not the only ones

>Right now we are thinking about pre-school for next year. What happens with
Epi-pen where you are? Here the teacher is not allowed to administer
medications in the classroom unless there is authorisation from the Ministry
of Health - which we will, of course, have to get...

>Do any of you have any tips on dealing with pre-schoolers and milk allergy?
We are teaching her to say no thank you to any food unless we OK it first
and she's pretty self-disciplined for her age. We try to provide
alternatives for parties etc and so far so good but new ideas are always
welcome.

>Thanks for this list. It's nice to know we are not alone!
>
>Debbie & Joel

Debbie and Joel,

Welcome to the list. I have been on this list for about a month because I
have a 6 year old daughter who is anaphylactic to milk. It has been very
helpful and there are many good people on it. My daughter is so severe that
as a baby if someone had a coffee with milk in it and then just kissed her
on the cheek she would hive from head to toe. We have been where you are and
felt all the confusion you are probably going through.
School was not only a scary idea for my daughter when she started last year
but it also scared me to death with the thought I had to finally rely on all
the teaching of not to touch or eat anything but what we give her or checked
out first. I made sure that my husband and I made an appointment with her
kindergarten teacher and sat down and discussed exactly what could happen. I
also took a list in for the classroom as well as the office of what exactly
she is allergic to. They hung it up on the wall next to their desk and in
the office
all the children with allergies or other concerns had special folders.She
has an epi-pen in the office with her name and the school does a yearly
teaching of all staff on how to administer the medication. I also had to
teach her teachers the signs of a reaction to watch for. I found if a worked
with them they were willing to work with me and not just pass it off as a
hysterical mother.I also did a LOT of baking. If there were special days
where there were parties the teachers would let me know and I made sure I
supplied the cake or cupcakes and the candy.
Before she went to school I made sure as much as possible Meaghan (my daughter)
had cookies and snacks that looked as much as possible like the other kids.
I also found if she helped it made the cookies taste that much better and
she felt good about herself. All our friends and relatives know that when we
come for dinner we bring Meaghan's food and snacks with her. Also I bring
her own plate and cutlery. Just to be safe. I try to find out the menu and
say if they are having hamburgers for the kids I will make up a turkey
burger for Meaghan and take that. That way she is still having what everyone
else is but it won't make her sick. I think the relatives think I'm crazy at
times because of how cautious i am but I've seen a reaction and both Meaghan
and my husband and I don't want that again.
Meaghan also gets involved in the grocery shopping. She knows the list of
things she can't have and since she was little she helps read the label of
things we buy. It gives her a little bit of input into her own life. We also
reread the labels but she is so proud of herself.
I think the main idea with us is to make her feel in control to a certain
degree and let her be involved in the decisions. Of course we have the last
say which doesnt always go over well but it works. We try to make her feel
good about herself and not "abnormal" like she must feel at times.
If you would like some recipes or to talk further feel free to email me.
Good luck- things do get better.

Chris and Rick Horne