NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stephen Michael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 21:18:27 -0800
Hi Denise,

I don't have the same recipe but maybe you will be able to use the one I
have.

Melty Nutritional Yeast "Cheese"

1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 cups Whyte's Darifree
1/4 cup margarine
1 tsp. wet mustard

Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk in the darifree. Cook over medium
heat, whisking, until it thickens and bubbles. Cook 30 seconds, then remove
from heat, whip in the margarine and mustard. It will thicken as it cools
but will thin when heated, or add darifree to thin it.

Variation: For a richer, stretchier sauce that's good on pizza, substitute
for the flour: 1/4 cup corn starch and 2 tbsp. flour. Instead of margarine,
whip in 1/2 cup of oil after it cooks, and add as much as 1 cup of darifree
at the end, or as needed to make a thick, smooth sauce that pours easily.
Pour it on pizza and for the last few minutes of baking, put pizza under
broil to form a stretchy, golden brown topping.

Regards,

Stephen