NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Carrie Micko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 09:55:25 -0500
In regard to my "cheese" sauce recipe containing Spike, I appreciate
being enlightened about the MSG contained in it. My package said "No
MSG" and silly me, I believed it. I have considered myself mildly
sensitive to MSG, but never reacted to Spike. The last thing in the
world I want to add to my recipes is MSG. Don Wiss tipped me off to
look for something with the word hydrolized, and sure enough, there it
was, second (possibly) and third ingredients in the list. Simple salt
can replace the Spike in the recipes, it wasn't an essential
ingredient. The recipes in my cookbook, "No Meat, No Milk, NO
PROBLEM!" use primarily natural, whole ingredients. I'm glad to have
found this out prior to publication. Don, is it ok if I email you
privately to check out a few other ingredients? I know this is a
no-milk, not no-MSG list, however milk-sensitive people are often
sensitive to a number of common things.  My apologies to the
MSG-sensitive in the group. Carrie