NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:07:23 -0500
Point taken. And a good point, too. There is always a risk when not
preparing ones own food, and an even greater risk at places that specialize
in cheesy foods.

We try to balance that against the fact that restaurant food can be quite a
bit more tasty than we can prepare, and the risk is sometimes worth it, to
live slightly more "normal" lives. There are so many sacrifices that we
have to make that sometimes it's worth it to us to risk exposure.

On the other hand, my son is so hair-trigger allergic to eggs that we never
go out to a restaurant for lunch that is still in the process of serving
brunch - there's just too much of a risk of cross-contamination on the
grills. I guess it's an individual thing to assess the degree of risk and
to decide just how much risk is tolerable. We avoid extreme risks, and
carry medications always because, no matter how careful we are, there is
always some degree of risk.

Both my son and I have had relatively good experiences, and find that, for
the most part, Bertucci's does a good job of preparing foods dairy-free
when requested to do so. Neither of us is so hair-trigger that a few
molecules will trigger anaphylaxis. A good dose, though, is a problem, and
that's where we would prefer some predictability in the process.

In fact, that's the issue that I discussed with them, and they were quite
receptive. I even asked what the baseline recipe for this item was supposed
to be, and asked if it was reasonable to request a special order on this
item; I said that if was not a reasonable request, I'd happily stop
ordering it. It turns out that the baseline recipe does have Romano cheese
on the bread. The problem was that there was not only little consistency
with that recipe, but that it was our experience that it was very rarely
prepared with the cheese. There was also confusion in the restaurant as to
the preparation of the food, and a breakdown in their handling of special
requests. All of this came as a surprise to the Risk Management person, and
she appreciated these as contributing to a lack of predictability and
therefore an increase in risk.

In this era of growing prevalence of severe food allergies, restaurants
need to have some clear means of handling them, and clear policies and
procedures. Even if their policy is to say that they can't cater to these
requests, or that they can't guarantee the allergy safety of foods would be
better than a policy of saying it'll be fine and then having it not be.
Both we and those serving us bear responsibility in preventing crises.

Mark