NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 22:03:26 -0500
>My understanding is that it is very rare for an infant to actually be
>allergic to the breastmilk.  It is usually something in the mother's diet
>that is coming through due probably to a leaky gut in the mother allowing
>those whole proteins to get into her blood stream and breastmilk.
>Unfortunately, too many peds are too quick to recommend weaning bc THEY
>feel that tracking down the offender and eliminating it completely is too
>much of a hassle.

I really have to agree that it is really rare (I['d actually like to find a
real true case of it) where an infant is allergic to its mother's
milk.  The best thing for a child is it's mother's milk.  No formula could
come close to giving a child what breast milk can.

Yes, it is a huge hassle to eliminate all dairy from a nursing mom's diet
but it is possible.  Almost exclusively infants are reacting to something
else in the mother's diet when they react to their mother's milk. I
eliminated all trace dairy for 3 years of nursing, and it is well worth
it.  From severe dairy allergy my 9 year old can actually have some dairy
cooked into foods and not react.  I just can't emphasize with sensitive
kids how important pure foods are for them.  I really think that the
artificial, processed, etc. foods are the worst.

Babies are not meant to drink formula.  And beware of all the genetically
modified food out there in the US that no one is even aware of.  The
allergies, etc. that they can cause are unknown, not to mention the other
harmful effects that the public is not made aware of.

Rachele Shaw