NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:39:21 -0500
>Here's another site that will help:
>
>        http://www.ou.org/kosher/policy.htm
>
>Until I read Robyn's message, I didn't knmow that "OU" without any other
>indication meant that the food is pareve. The page referenced above says
>that's true. I'd prefer an explicit notation of "pareve".

As I've said, that's only "usually" true.  But the eceptions are where
the classification is obvious:  Ice cream with only an OU on it is dairy.
Tofutti and anythign similar would say parve explicitly.  Similarly Kosher
bologna with only an OU on it is meat -- parve meat alternatives and
meat-flavored bouillons will say parve explicitly.

--Robyn