NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:21:51 -0600
I'm new to this list and need lots of advice!
How accurate are allergy tests?
I have a 3 yr. old who has been struggling with symptoms of milk protien
allergy since birth.    He was given a RAST test at 15 months, but it came
out negative to both milk and gluten.  Yet, elimination of all milk
protiens eased symptoms (facial rash,  diahrea 8 - 12 times a day, stomach
aches, grumpiness, etc...).  A small accidental amount of milk, butter,
whey, caesin, etc... results in 4 - 10 dirty diapers a day which often
causes his bottom to crack and bleed - it's almost like it's acidic to him.

Even with elimination of milk products, he still has several problems and
I'm not sure if they could be connected to some other allergy, or if it's
just his normal temperment.  I still have concerns about his "moodiness",
sleep troubles, and his failure to become toilet trained (he seems to have
no control over BMs at all).  He also has a speech delay (articulation
only). Our family doctor is leaning toward tubes to relieve the fluid in
his ears pending the results of monthly tympanograms (the first one came
out flat on both ears).

When I ask our family docs about allergy testing, they only say "if you
want to put him through all that..." and I feel terribly guilty. I don't
want to subject him to harsh or unnecessary tests, but he's going through
an awful lot now too.  If testing could alleviate some of his problems, I'd
feel guilty NOT doing it.  Is scratch testing that bad?  Is it worth it?
Is it more or less reliable than RAST? Does anyone know why the RAST test
would come up negative when he has such obvious symptoms?  Thanks for your
time!  I'll take any advice I can get!  (If any of this is redundant to
earlier discussions, feel free to contact me separately.)
Kelly Duncan