NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
explorer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 22:10:03 +0000
More bad news about cow’s milk.  Not only are dairy cattle contaminating
rivers and streams, but now:

Calcium & Osteoporosis
by Stephen Leckie and reviewed by Mark Fromberg M.D.
http://web.idirect.com/~virgin/milk.htm

Osteoporosis is bone loss due to calcium resorption, which, contrary to
the advice of the dairy industry, is not halted or prevented by an
increase in the intake of calcium so much as by a drop in protein
consumption.

High-protein foods, such as meat, eggs and dairy products leach calcium
from the body by causing excessive calcium loss through the kidneys,
making the kidneys work harder and causing loss of minerals such as
calcium.

Societies with little or no consumption of dairy foods and animal
proteins show a low incidence of osteoporosis. Vegetarians and vegans in
North America also have a lower than average incidence of osteoporosis.

We need calcium in our diet, but sufficient calcium is easily available
from many non-dairy sources. Hard drinking water generally contains
plenty of usable calcium. All green vegetables contain calcium, as do
all nuts, legumes and beans. Raw sesame seeds contain more calcium than
any other food on earth. Most fruit also contains calcium.