NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jennifer Savoie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 14:57:03 -0500
At 08:04 PM 12/1/97 -0500, >Dale Robin Lockman wrote:
>Friends, I have seen the recent posts on Vitamite...Is there an
>advantage of this stuff over the soy and rice milks.  I note the calcium
>content, but we use the "plus" or "enriched" varieties of these milk
>substitutes... The Vitamite ingredient list that Helen Fenerty posted
>(thanks, Helen for all you great info, always!!) seemed to contain a lot
>of unwanted stuff, like sugar nad chemicals and the like.  Any thoughts
>on this??

I am relatively new to the list and have only posted once before, but thank
you for saying exactly what I was thinking!!  The ingredients list for
Vitamite sounds really scary. People like me who have ulcerative colitis
which has caused or coincided with my LI, should be aware that all the
chemicals and the refined sugars and especially carageenan can really
complicate our digestion.  I wonder too, what is the advantage of Vitamite
over Soy Milk and Rice Milk???  Does anyone know.  Is it just a sugar and
flavor thing?  If so, I'll stick to my Rice Dream.

Jennifer