NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Nov 2000 22:34:15 -0800
Here is one more dairy-free cake recipe in my files.  It's another PA
Dutch recipe that is a dry bottom shoo-fly pie.  I do have wet bottom
versions if anyone would like them, but I think they may be more of an
oddity to most folks.  You can make this as pie with a pastry crust or
simply as cup cakes.  Since they have a crumb topping, they don't require
frosting.  I've never tried mini versions, but they should work.  This
will make 2 - 9" pies or 24 cup cakes.  Again, I'm going from my
grandmother's scribbles on a piece of paper :-)  This was always one of
those church bake sale items my mom would make cuz they are so easy.

Kathy

Molasses Cake

3 c flour
1/2 c sugar
pinch salt
6 Tbsp shortening

In large bowl, mix together flour and sugar and salt.  Cut in shortening
using a pastry blender or 2 knives.  Reserve a generous handful of
mixture for crumbs.

1 c molasses (calls for light, but I use unsulphered)
1 tsp baking soda
1 c hot water

In medium bowl, beat together molasses and baking soda until light and
foamy.  This should be straw colored.  Add hot water.  Be careful, this
will foam quite a bit when the hot water hits it and you start mixing.
Add this mixture to dry ingred and mix to combine.  A few lumps are OK.
Pour mixture into 2 unbaked pie shells and sprinkle with crumbs.  Bake at
350F for 25-30 min.  Or divide evenly among 24 cup cakes and sprinkle
with crumbs.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 min.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

http://click.egroups.com/1/9183/4/_/494295/_/973751221/