NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 1998 12:06:24 -0700
Simon wrote the other day:
" The majority of people do not have my problem,
or a similar one.  Dairy products are not harmful to them.  Most children
can drink milk without any problems."

While it is true most children do not have clinical allergies to milk, it is
not really known how milk affects people in other ways and to state categori-
cally that there are "no problems" is naive.

Since most people on this list have to deal with so much pro-milk
propaganda all our lives (not to mention allergy ignorance), that we can
sometimes seem very "anti" dairy.  (I personally don't believe it is good
for most people but I would not phrase that as a categorically true
statement and what's more, I let people do what they feel they must, since
it is their lives, and the lives of their children-- I do make my opinion
known though).

Anyway, I am personally glad Spock said that just because my friends do
consider my point of view (beyond the allergy stance) to be such a
renegade and almost anti-American viewpoint.  Isn't this what they used to
say about vegetarians too?

My 2 cents,
Susan.