NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 20:11:48 -0700
Well, this one was a success.  It was wonderfully fine textured like an
Italian Ice.  Instead of the food processor, I just used an old fashioned
food sieve - the kind that's like a pointy hat with holes and has a
wooden masher that you push the stuff around with.  I don't know what
it's called, but my grandmother used it to make applesauce and puree
pumpkin.  It made a much better texture than the watermelon one which was
a bit chunky.  Unfortunately, my 17 month old doesn't seem to care for
the frozen desserts, but I'm loving them!

Kathy P.

Green Apple Granita

2 pounds tart Gravestein or Pippin apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (I
used Granny Smiths)
1 1/4 cup unsweetend apple juice
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp Calvados, applejack or dark rum

Place apples in heavy saucepan along with apple juice and sugar.  Cover
and cook over moderate heat until very tender, about 15 minutes.  Process
apple mixture in food processor until very smmoth.  Strain through fine
strainer, pushing down on solids to extract as much puree as possible.
Stir in lemon juice and Calvados.  Cool completely.

Freeze in ice cream maker according to maufacturer's directions.  Makes
about 1 quart.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]