NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 20:35:39 -0500
From: Helen Edith Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
>The common way of enjoying lasagne in the UK involves some of the layers
>containing a cheese sauce, and I believe that in the US, actual slices
>of cheese are often used.

Actually, in a proper cheese lasagne no 'slices' of cheese are used at all,
rather the cheese layer consists of ricotta and shredded mozzarella
(occasionally with grated parmesan and/or romano added, according to the
recipe), and it is topped with shredded mozzarella...

No slices of cheese, and definitely no 'cheese sauce'...

In the traditional meat lasagne one gets an unknown...even if the shredded
mozzarella is left off from the topping, both the sauce and the meat
mixture may have had cheese added to it, usually grated parmesan and/or
romano cheese (again, no slices or 'sauce')...

A 'vegetarian' lasagne almost always has mozzarella and/or parmesan/romano
cheese added to the vegetable mixture, and the ubixitous shredded
mozzarella is always sprinkled on top....

>In place of the cheese sauce, make a white sauce using soya alternative
>to milk. You want about a litre, or nearly 30oz. I hesitate to say a bit
>under 2 pints, as Imperial pints have 16oz in them, where US pints only
>have 12oz:-)

A pint is a pint is a pint, on both sides of the pond...16 ounces here in
the States, too...

Don't know where the '12 oz. pint' comes from....  ;-)

Your recipe sounds interesting, tho...   :-)