NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Nov 2011 10:34:51 -0500
I was recently in a kosher foods store and picked up a bunch of bars of
parve dark chocolate for "baking".  I wasn't paying attention to the label
except for checking for the parve marking and no warnings about possible
dairy contamination...but it turns out, these bars use hydrogenated oils
instead of cocoa butter.  The result is, eating them is like eating
chocolate flavored crisco.  They coat your mouth/teeth, and stick with you
for a long time.

So...I have 2 questions.  First, has anyone tried mixing hydrogenated oil
chocolate with cocoa butter chocolate (to dillute the hydrogenated oil),
and does that work?  i.e. if I cut the hydrogenated oil chocolate with
cocoa butter chocolate say 1:1 or 1:2, will that noticeably reduce the
mouth coating effect of the hydrogenated oil?

Second, can anyone share a source for reasonably priced dairy-free dark
chocolate bars?

I've recently made a few batches of dark chocolate peanut butter cups.
First attempt was using melted down Enjoy Life mega chunks.  They worked,
but following instructions I found online, I was unable to get the
chocolate to temper...so they had a dull appearance and tended to start
melting in my fingers as I peeled away the paper baking cups.  Then I made
a batch using one of these Paskesz parve bars, and found that hydrogenated
oil chocolate doesn't require tempering, melts at higher temperature than
regular dark chocolate, and begins to solidify above the tempering
temperature for regular dark chocolate.  They turned out nice looking, and
don't melt in my fingers...but I'm not happy with the texture of the
chocolate / the way it sticks to my mouth.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |